Friday, November 18, 2011

Girls' Day Out - All Good Things Must End

But first a public service announcement: please consider going to a Transgender Day of Remembrance event this coming weekend.  It's everywhere.  Show your support so maybe next year no women will die because of who they are or how they dress.
The ladies, Liz and Erin

After saying goodbye to Erin and Liz, I drove back to the hotel, making a short stop at a gas station.  The other patrons ignored me and I ignored them.

Many years ago, after my first solo, I stopped at a gas station on my way home.  Since the solo was at a friend's party, this was my first real, live, on-my-own mixing with people.  No matter that it was kind of remote from actually talking to someone, as if I went into a grocery store or something ~ I was out, on my own, being a woman for the very first time.

I thought about that night and I felt like a whole lifetime was compressed into the few years since.  I was now about six years and eight months old.  I guess that makes it about eight girl years to one guy year.  I have a lot of catching up to do!

The walk back to my room was anti-climactic.  No-one was around, and I was too tired to do something silly like tell the desk clerk I left my key in the room.  And I would have had to call the clerk from the back room anyway!  And by now, I'm sure the driver told everyone "wait til you hear what I saw last night!"  I still wonder if Andrea let the driver in on her own nonstandard lifestyle.

I didn't want to change when I got back, as is the norm now.  But it was after five, and that meant it was more like eight pm to me.  I just had a drink at lunchtime, and I was a bit hungry from the walking and a bit tired from a pretty full and extremely fun day.  Plus, with my camera being recalcitrant, I couldn't get any "I'm back" pictures.  I puttered around the room a bit, moving clothes and repacking and when I got to the point that I had to pack what I was wearing, I reluctantly decided to change.

Yes, I could have gone out to dinner dressed but I think I was done for the day.  I'm not sure how I'd do if I put myself in a position where I had to be Meg for a couple of days or more.  I'm thinking of putting myself to the test next month, but I'm not sure it'll happen.

All good things must end.  Alas, all fantastic things must end as well.






3 comments:

  1. You've matured a lot, Meg and it becomes you very well I have to say. Some changes are good, some are less and some are just necessary to make another step.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meg,

    If I told my driver at work about my lifestyle, I would have to kill him.

    But he was fine with yours, or the most part.

    I'm glad you had a good time here, and I hope that I get a chance to visit with you the next time you visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Meg... looking great, and quite the change!

    ReplyDelete

My day is brighter when I hear from my friends!