Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Boy or Girl?

There have been a couple of publicised cases of parents hiding their child's gender for a while after birth.  The first one I read about was five years ago, in the British tabloid The Sun.

Back in January, The Sun followed up with:

It's a boy! Couple reveal sex of their 'gender neutral' kid after five years

In typical Sun fashion, sensitivity was traded for sensationalism.  For instance, a picture of mother and son was captioned Boy, that's strange ... Beck Laxton is raising Sasha as 'gender neutral'.  Another caption: Free to develop ... Sasha's mum Beck thinks she is leaving her child space to become an individual.  Thinks?  The Sun, clearly, knows she was wrong.

I have two sons, 15 (last week) and 19 and I'm sure I made more than my share of mistakes as a parent.  Yet they're both pretty smart and making good decisions.  I won't say they're well-adjusted because I think that's a matter of opinion.  But I think they're each great and I'd never trade them for any others, of any sex or gender.

 

1 comment:

  1. There is only one thing the Sun is usefull for now that we are not allowed to wrap our chips in newspaper.

    ReplyDelete

My day is brighter when I hear from my friends!