Thursday, August 9, 2012

Halloween 2009 ~ Redux

First, I want to mention that I'll be on my own for a couple of nights next week.  I hope to get out, but I really want something interesting to do.  I've reached the point where I want to dress to do something, not just dress.

Anyway....

A couple of readers followed up on my Halloween experience.

One anonymous reader mentioned that some MAC associates are trained in doing makeup for men.  She didn't say if they were trained to do male makeup ~ hey, some guys wear it ~ or women's makeup on men.  I'm guessing the latter.  I suspect that, currently, that's a larger market.  Maybe some day, men wearing makeup will be for more than rock stars and Goth.

Another nearly-anonymous reader (she identified herself as MAM) wrote:

Meg -

If you were going to the MAC store again to have them makeover your face, what would you ask of them that you didn't ask then? Also, if someone (another TGCD) wanted a makeover for the first time, what would you do beforehand? And what would you ask the person doing the makeover to do?


Well, MAM, I ~ no scratch that.  I feel like John Wayne saying "Well, MAM" and that's not where I want to be.  (Or maybe it is.)

You have good questions and I wish I'd thought of them beforehand.  I've had my makeup done a number of times, and there is really a world of difference between doing makeup for men and doing makeup for women.  I am assuming my experience applies to a lot of us; I know it's not universal.

My best makeup was done by someone who has experience putting makeup on men.  She might have done crossdressers before (ideal), or done drag makeup (not quite as good ~ it's often more exaggerated, but she probably knows what to tone down if she has that experience), or she might have done theatrical makeup.  If she's doing makeup for actors she will have a good understanding of the relationship between light and cosmetics, know how to do makeup for cover, and know contouring and such that most women who just wear makeup don't know.

When I had makeup done in a department store, or a salon (Zoe's in the Fair Oaks Mall), or the MAC store each time she did "makeup for women."

Women want the least makeup they need.  In general, they have a good canvas for the paint.  In general, men do not.  Look at the average face with no hair or makeup and it's still pretty obvious which is a male and which is a female face.

Women want their makeup to enhance their appearance.  I want my makeup to disguise my appearance.  Jane wants to look like Glamourous Jane.  John wants to look like Glamourous Jane, not John.

Teddy did my makeup twice.  She's worked in theatre.  She understood the "disguise" aspect.  With a couple of casual (for her) swipes of colour she changed the shape of my face ~ at least the way it was perceived, and that's what counts, no?

So what would I do?

I'd avoid the mineral makeup.  Zoe's uses it and when I sat down the makeup lady looked dismayed and said "I was hoping you had brought your own cosmetics."

I'd definitely ask if she has any experience making up men.  I'd point out the difference between enhance and disguise, and let her know I'm looking for disguise ~ I do not want to look like a pretty version of the guy who walked in.

I might do the foundation in advance, although the makeup ladies are good at placing cover in just the right spot to minimise the bags under my eyes or that hint of facial hair that shows through after a few hours out.

I'd ask questions and compare experiences, although they never seem to like that.  They know they're the experts.  I don't question how they're doing eyes, since so many looks are possible, but I've asked questions about sequence (one put on cover after foundation!) and such.  I always assume the makeup lady knows best, and the result is always pronounced "great" even when I have my doubts.

And one more comment on comments.  I kind of skipped over the fact that I changed early because I had to get home at a reasonable hour and couldn't go home like that ~ my sons would be there.

But I really wanted to come in on Monday in a different outfit.  It's all I thought about all weekend.  I don't often obsess over fantasies but I really wanted to dress for Monday.  And I almost convinced myself I should do it.

And almost three years later, I still regret not doing it.  I could have still said it was a joke, as long as I didn't wear a dress on Tuesday.



3 comments:

  1. It would have been even more memorable if you did it Monday.
    Good discussion on makeup.

    You did have me searching all over for "John Wayne ~ Duke or Duchess". I am still not sure if the linked article was a spoof or not and I could not otherwise confirm the book but there is plenty of information and inuendo out on the net that he was one of us. Interesting musing.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meg,
    I too have reached the point that when I get dressed I want to do something "normal" rather than going out for the sake of going out dressed. Hang in there, reasons to get dressed will come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Meg! Hmmm :)

    ReplyDelete

My day is brighter when I hear from my friends!