Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Back In the Closet

by choice though.  Allow me to explain.

I've spent a lot of time over the past few days trying to settle into my new furniture.  I'm trying to only use the dresser for now.  (You can see the chest in the picture.)  Before, I had socks, underwear, t-shirts, each in their own drawer.  Socks and undies took three drawers actually.  The other drawers had pjs, sweaters, other miscellaneous stuff like bathing suits.

Here, I put sweaters, pjs, and bathing suits in a box and put them in a storage area.  I don't plan to wear them.

I then took all of the boxes and bags out of my closet where they hid so the furniture movers could work freely.  The result is in the picture at the top of this post.   The shirt boxes have lingerie.  The newspaper bags contain shoes.

My new dresser has six drawers.  That would work for my previous closet-based life, but now....  In addition to panties, socks, and t-shirts I have slips, bras, shaping garments, camisoles, tights, stockings, pantyhose....  It's nice ~ no, it's wonderful ~ to have everything in its place, but there's Too Much Stuff.

Part of the problem: I probably need a couple of dozen pair of panties.  That would let me wear a fresh pair daily for three weeks but I have sixty or seventy pair.  I have between 10 and 20 pair of tights.  I have 50+ pair of socks (if I include men's socks, which I'm phasing out).  Add in stockings, pantihose, thigh-highs and I don't have to do laundry for a season.  My wife has a few bras, probably fewer than a half-dozen.  I have a couple of dozen, but I like and wear my favourite three or four.

The result is an overflowing, stuffed dresser.

So it's time to backtrack.  I'm going to find some right-sized boxes (maybe shoe boxes for most of the items) and leave a few pair of pantyhose (black, nude, taupe), a selection of panties and socks and such in my dresser.  The rest will go in boxes in the closet.  Not because they have to be there, but because they belong there.  There is a huge difference.  My dresser will have a full complement of Things That Are Always Different: slips in different lengths, colours, styles and camisoles for instance.

It's a little more work this way, but I think I'll enjoy the result.

I'm learning.  I think I could use a mentor.




5 comments:

  1. It is amazing how we CDs do tend to accumulate large quantities of girl things. I looked at my closet the other day and my wife is correct that it needs major culling. I just cannot bear to part with most of my stuff.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mentioned that you have more bras than your wife.... For me, it is underwear.... (She had less than I do now when she was alive.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pat -

    I'll bet that my closet needs both a culling and a fleshing out. Now that I'm trying to build a small, but complete wardrobe, I want to get rid of stuff i don't need or won't use, and have only such items as I will use.

    Marian

    ReplyDelete
  4. A mentor? it sounds as though you need a skip! We girls do have a weakness for shopping that leads us into having far too many clothes, be ruthless, make Megs wardrobe a real girls wardrobe this is your chance, you know you want to!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, maybe some of those cardboard boxes would help!! :)
    Good luck on your organizing... and yes, you need more panties!!
    Sara

    ReplyDelete

My day is brighter when I hear from my friends!