Tuesday, August 20, 2013

What's In A Name?

That old poll was sitting around for quite a while, without review.

I was curious about how y'all chose your femme surname.  Let's look at the results....

Fifteen percent just kept their birthname.  That makes it easy for families and credit cards.  If your boy name is Steven Martin and your femme name is Susan Martin, that Visa with S. Martin on it works well.
 
Another twenty percent used a variation on their birthname.  I didn't ask for specifics, but perhaps Silverman changed to Silver, or Johnson to Johns.  Just to get rid of the boy part.  Frankly, I can't think of a lot of examples where I'd choose something close but not quite my old name ~ if anyone wants to enlighten me, I'd love to know.

 

A handful chose the surname of a partner or a friend.  I can see that.  It's a name you like, or its to honour your SO who probably took your name when you hooked up.


Over half chose a name they liked.  I know some girls who picked first and last names that sort of went together.  My surname is nothing like my male surname.

Just a few only use one name.  Cher?  Are you reading? :)

And now, please take the new poll.  What's in your ears?


 

1 comment:

  1. I missed out on the last poll, but for the record I am using my mother's maiden name for my alternate surname.

    As for my ears: wax, mostly :-). I don't have them pierced yet, but it's on my short list. Soon ...

    ReplyDelete

My day is brighter when I hear from my friends!