Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Simple Pleasure ~ It's Like I'm Writing a Book

As I was moving a few posts around the calendar last week, I had the wonderful thought that this is like writing a book.  I write.  I edit what I write.  I change sentences to improve the prose and fix the flow.  I move posts to promote the storyline.

Sometimes, when I break up the flow to put in a news article or my Wednesday "Simple Pleasure," I think of Moby Dick, where Melville just stopped telling the story to insert a long chapter about whether a whale is a mammal or a fish (spoiler alert: he decided it was a fish).  I'm not comparing myself to Melville; as a writer, he was much too terse.

I'm sure the "Simple Pleasure" breaks are more on the level to "Good Idea Bad Idea" (like this or this) breaks in Animaniacs.

I've always wanted to be a writer.  I do have my (male) name listed as a co-author in a technical specification, but that's as far as I've made it.  (If anyone has a copy of IEEE 716-1985, I'll be happy to autograph it for you.  A copy costs $75 at time of publication so I never purchased one myself).  I've authored some patents, but they were sort of ghostwritten.  And I've read them and I'll freely admit that.

I don't think I could write a story or novel.  I would be happy and at peace as even a marginally successful writer.  But it's nice to think of the 1200+ posts I've assembled here as my Magnum Opus which both overstates my work and degrades the term.

It has been suggested that I was a woman in a previous life and I'm having trouble "letting go," hence the appearance of Meg.  I prefer to think that I'll be a woman in my next life and Meg is practice.  Maybe the same goes for my writing.

So, tell your children/grandchildren to be on the lookout for a famous writer named "Meg."  Tell them to write her (or send a telepathic message, whatever's in vogue then) and let her know you enjoyed her practice writing from her previous life.  She'll be thrilled and confused.  And maybe you'll be delivering an outline for her next book.




No comments:

Post a Comment

My day is brighter when I hear from my friends!