Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Sloppy Editing

Before I get to Valentine's Day, I need to neaten up what happened in my (non-T) world.

As my contract was ending, I spoke to several people about future job opportunities.  One sounded very good: I could keep my clearance and make quite a bit more money but it would have required a somewhat longer commute and may end in six months.

Another opportunity showed up about the same five miles from my apartment where I was working, at the same company where I (until recently) worked.  It used the skillset I had the most experience with.  It did not require my clearance which was a big minus.

A few days after interviewing I received an e-mail from the program manager asking me to call.  He wanted to know what day I "could start."

We hadn't discussed salary (except for him to say I may be out of range) or responsibilities or myriad other things.  And he asked me what day I could start, which to me says they're trying to decide if my timing fits in with theirs.

I told him.  He suggested a week sooner.  That was the whole conversation.

A couple of days later, I was added to an e-mail thread.  Someone on the team wanted to know what day I was going to start; he thought it was that day.

Then I was added to e-mail streams discussing my phone setup, voice mail setup, and computer.

We still hadn't discussed salary or responsibilities.

But here I am at my exciting new desk (in an office, not a cube!  with free coffee!), doing exciting new work.  I hope they plan to pay me an exciting new salary.

When it comes right down to it though, it's not that important.



3 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Sounds promising...

    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the new job! :)

    Some years ago, I had a similar experience at a military installation on the west coast. However, I did *not* show up, since I'd never actually accepted the job. They had made a salary offer, which is different from your situation. I think they were surprised.

    Don't be surprised if a salary shows up that's seriously low.

    xoxoxo

    Christine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll let y'all know if Friday's my last day. :)

      Delete

My day is brighter when I hear from my friends!